Friday, October 3, 2014

Door Prizes and Political Ads

I spent the last week in August attending the American Needlepoint Guild (ANG) national seminar in Chicago.  An earlier post has information about the two classes I had signed up for; both were very good.  I ended up winning one of the many daily seminar door prizes: my choice among a variety of donated charts and patterns.   (Just what I need - another needlepoint pattern to work on!)

In my first class, I sat behind someone from Iowa City!  We were both amazed that there were two of us from Iowa in the same class.  There are no ANG chapters in Iowa, so I'm a member "at large." ANG does have an on-line chapter, "CyberPointers."  The CyberPointers had a get-together one evening at seminar, so I went to find out more information about the chapter, and guess what, I won a free one-year's membership in the chapter as a door prize.

But what do door prizes have to do with political ads?  We have a very hot Senate race going on and have been inundated with ads since before the primaries.  Every commercial break on TV carries at least several ads from the two candidates and the various PACs, most of the PAC ads are very negative. Anyway, we landed in our hotel room, turned on the TV, and I exclaimed, "Oh, an entire week without the political ads we've been inundated with!"  There were a few ads for Chicago candidates, but those were new to us and few and far between.  Our local newspaper reported that 239 ads per day are running about the Senate campaign alone!  And most of those ads are negative ones.  Boy, will I be glad when Election Day is over.

On the home front, I am now on the Board of Directors of the homeowners' association for my condo building.  I've been appointed to fill a vacant seat until our annual meeting in October, at which time the new Board members will be elected.

I rarely complete projects from needlework classes since I attend primarily to learn new stitches and new techniques, but every once in awhile a project catches my fancy.  Such was the case with the "Whitework Sampler," which I continued to work on at home.  I switched out one color; the color the teacher used was really beige and I chose a color that has just a hint of gray and pink in it.  I had to set the piece aside in early September as I headed to the ambulatory surgery center for my first cataract surgery.  Here's my progress up to that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment