Monday, April 27, 2015

I will go with thee to thy uncle's

Yesterday afternoon we saw the film of a Royal Shakespeare Company production of "Much Ado About Nothing." My favorite line in the play occurs in Act 5, when Beatrice asks Benedick if he will go with her to hear the news, and he responds, "I will live in thy heart, die in thy lap, and be buried in thy eyes, and moreover, I will go with thee to thy uncle's."  There's a lot of humor in the play, but this line I think is the best.

We started the day at our Fire Department's pancake breakfast.  And then looked at the variety of fire trucks and rescue equipment in the parking lot.  The fire department has a fire pole, we aren't sure whether anyone actually uses it anymore.

There is a needlepoint stitch, the basket weave stitch, that uses the fire pole analogy.  That stitch goes down the vertical thread, like a fire fighter goes down the pole, and goes up the horizontal threads, like a fire fighter walking back upstairs.  Of course, I learned the stitch before that analogy became popular, and I remember it by "vertical down = V.D."




No comments:

Post a Comment