Sunday, July 19, 2015

Can One Sermon Encompass both "Fiddler on the Roof" and a George Carlin sketch?

You betcha.  On Father's Day, I preached my very first sermon.  Our church's pastor was heading to vacation and they couldn't find anyone else.  I vaguely remember telling the church at some point that I would be willing to lay preach, so they came to me.

The lessons dealt with "on the one hand, on the other hand," which to me was reminiscent of how Tevya in "Fiddler on the Roof" dealt with problem solving.  And then I focused on Paul's statement that "on the one hand we have nothing, and on the other hand we have everything."  That brought to mind George Carlin's sketch about "stuff."

I think the sermon went well, if I do say so myself.  Lots of people came up to thank me.

No comments:

Post a Comment