Tuesday, October 16, 2018

What we learned in high school

I belong to a mystery book club, and this month's book was set in Quebec.  The author had tossed in a bunch of French words, which some readers had trouble with.  One member mentioned that she had taken Latin in school, as her foreign language, and often regretted that decision, but she found her Latin knowledge useful in figuring out the French words.

That led another member to ask "what two classes did you take in High School that you use most every day?"  He identified Latin and typing.  And many of us agreed with typing class (though I learned typing in junior high).  Another member mentioned band.

I thought this was a very interesting question, and am not sure what my second class choice would be.  Physics? No.  Geometry?  No.  Chemistry?  No.  French?  No.  Hmmm.  English grammar would be an easy choice, but we learned grammar in grade school and by the time we reached high school, we were into literature.

And on to the subject of needlework, our ANG Blue Ribbon Chapter set up an exhibit of some of our work, at a local library.  I had a number of pieces in the exhibit.


My two pieces here are the ghosts and the fancy pumpkin, done on perforated paper


My pieces here are the Jazz Square hanging on the back wall, and the Patriotic Sparklers in the blue vase

On one group, a member posted that she was in "ahh" of the wonderful work others were doing.  It seemed clear she didn't know the word "awe," and was writing what she thought she had heard people saying.  I got a kick out of this because I'm thinking that when people are in awe, they often say "ahh.

No comments:

Post a Comment