Friday, July 25, 2014

The Critics and I Disagree

I mentioned earlier that we had seen the movie, "Monuments Men."  I had been hesitant to see the movie since the reviews had not been good, but thoroughly enjoyed the movie.  I enjoyed the movie so much that I read the book afterwards, then watched the movie again when it became available "on demand" on TV.  It's a great story, and I'd be happy to read the book and watch the movie again!   So, my first disagreement with the critics.

Then, several weeks ago, we went to see "The Jersey Boys."  That has gotten terrible reviews, and I had not intended to see the movie, but Dennis really wanted to go.  So, give me a big bucket of popcorn and I'm happy to sit through even a bad movie.  But the movie was fine.   So, my second disagreement with the critics.

And on Wednesday this week, our local library had another free movie night, showing "Gravity."  That had gotten such praise and won some Academy Awards, so I was really looking forward to it.  But, it left me cold.  The special effects were interesting, but not much of a plot, and not much suspense. Some scenes were obviously in the movie to show off the 3-D version, but they left me flat.  (Get the joke?)

Anyway, I guess the moral is I should attend movies that get bad reviews and skip the ones that get rave reviews.  We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment