Monday, October 24, 2016

Fireworks in my Backyard

The Cedar Valley Chapter (Cedar Rapids/Marion) of the Embroiderer's Guild of America was able to procure the EGA's 20th National Exhibit for showing at the Marion Heritage Center.  Well worth the trip, some very interesting and unusual embroidered works.  The trip, of course, necessitated a stop at the needlework shop in Marion, to stock up on a few things.

Each year, there is a celebration the Friday before the first home football game, and my condo is in the center of the events.  There are food vendors, a merchandise show, fun and games, and a big concert in the evening.  Some years the marching band is here, and I previously posted photos of the marching band as seen from my balcony.  This year, fireworks were added to the festival, at the conclusion of the concert.

I'd never before tried to take photos of fireworks with my camera, but I managed to get several that don't look too bad, if I do say so myself.




And now back on to my English major soapbox.  A newsletter carried the announcement that free "rock corry" sand was available to anyone who wanted some.  I thought about that for a few minutes, trying to figure out what rock corry sand was, before I realized the person meant "rock quarry" sand.  And later, someone asked, on one of the Facebook stitching groups I belong to, what needlework shops there were in New York City.  Several responses came about shops in Manhattan, then someone posted that there were other needlework shops in some of the other New York "burrows." Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment