Friday, January 4, 2013

Retirement is Highly Recommended

I formally retired from my position at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, after 39 years, on June 30th.  But I ended up staying on part-time through the end of August.  But finally, my last day arrived!  One of my duties had been to write the departmental newsletter.  Several of my co-workers wrote a special issue of the newsletter, as a tribute.

When people asked me what I planned to do after retirement, I responded, "catch up on my sleep."  It did take several weeks before I started getting a good night's sleep and stopped tossing and turning over work problems.

In September, I participated in a 4-session Senior College course on Biblical Poetry, then an evening class on Russian Orthodoxy.  The Biblical Poetry class met at 9:30 am, and when we were asked to evaluate the class at the end, I said that was too early in the morning!

And now I have more time to devote to stitching!  I signed up for my first on-line stitching class, Stella Polaris, through the Shining Needle Society.  I enjoyed the class, and was so blown away by some of the other students' colorways, that I stitched the piece twice.

The colorway I initially selected and stitched

Second colorway I stitched
In June and July, we managed to see four plays.  The University of Iowa Summer Rep offered three mystery plays, "What the Butler Saw," "The Woman in Black," and "Sherlock's Last Case."  And the University of Iowa Division of Performing Arts presented Gilbert and Sullivan's "H.M.S. Pinafore."

No comments:

Post a Comment