Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Play's The Thing

In February, we attended University of Iowa productions of two one-act plays: "Trouble in Tahiti" by Leonard Bernstein and "Amelia Goes to the Ball" by Giancarlo Menotti.

In March, I attended a four-session (eight-hour) Senior College course on "Hamlet."  I was an English major in college, so should be well versed in Shakespeare.  However, my semester-long Shakespeare course met at 8 am, so, sorry to say, I rarely made it to class.  Which means I'm woefully unknowledgable about Shakespeare's plays.   Tsk, tsk.

In April, we saw "She Stoops to Conquer," another UI production.

April also saw the Iowa Women's Leadership Conference at the convention center next door to my condo.  Even though I am retired, I could not pass up the opportunity to hear the keynote speakers.

Dr. Bernice King, daughter of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Coretta Scott King, talked about her mother's role in terms of not just being the woman behind the man, but her essential role in the women beside the man.  Martha Stewart talked about "Living the Good Long Life," and gave everyone copies of her just published book.  Gloria Steinem was greeted with a standing ovation, talked about "The Longest Revolution," and answered questions from the audience.  All speakers were inspiring.

Next on our "schedule" was the play, "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum."  I thought it was much better than the movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment